Grigori Andreevich Shponko was born in 1926 in Balki, Zaporozhye region, Ukraine. During World War II Shponko lost two older brothers at the front. He worked on the reconstruction of Kiev that had been destroyed in the war. Shponko studied in the master class of famous professor Trokhimenko in the painting department of the Kiev Art Institute until his graduation in 1954. He became a member of the Union of Artists of Ukraine that same year under academician Tatyana Yablonskaya’s recommendations. He participated in the restoration of the legendary Sevastopol panorama by Rubo, and he was working as a painter-decorator in the Kiev Opera and Ballet Theatre. He participated in many Ukrainian and All-Union Art Exhibitions in Ukraine and Moscow. His works are included in the collections of several museums. Shponko died in December 2006.